Sunday, December 17, 2006

Why and which MBA program

After GMAT now came to process of completing the essays and continuing my in depth analysis of B-schools. Before I get down to say which B-schools I am targetting, I need to answer Why MBA and which MBA ? The reason why I am doing MBA....
1. I want to discipline myself, my thoughts and my career. I am looking for a course that is rigourous and gives me no-time to indulge into petty talks and thoughts. In essence, a course that helps me develop focus towards my interests and hobbies.
2. I am doing MBA to take a shot at entreprenuership.
3. The focus of the MBA program should be on decision analysis, strategy making and technology. I want a program that not only teaches my leadership and other mangement skills but also about technology and decision analysis.

Colleges short-listed:
a. Sloan-MIT:
Reason: Damn strong on technology, gives no time to students especially during first year. The first semester or in MIT lingo "core" is by far the toughest first semester in all MBA programs...( I am still wondering what the hell do they teach !!! ) Anyway, I also like the concept of C-party that happens every thursday's at Sloan. Must be fun...

b. UC Berkeley- Haas:
Reason : Similar to MIT, in terms of focus on technology, not very strong on decision analysis and strategy making, but vicinity to Silicon valley, and the MOT program alongside MBA is the main reason for me to target this college.

c. Michigan Ross:
Reason: Another Tech major, has a good focus on strategy and leadership. A very good general MBA program with a focus on technology and easy to tailor the course.

d. Chicago GSB:
Reason: Completely non-technical college, with absolutely no courses in technology !!! . But, I have met many alumni of this college and I have developed an appreciation for its strong alumni and faculty. A beautiful program focusses on overall personality development, but my focus would be to learn strategy and decision analysis subjects. More of a general MBA with focus on strategy.

e. Cornell - Johnson :
reason: Located in the quite small town of Ithaca, NY. A very good curriculum of general mBA with a focus on strategy management. This is more like a back-up but nevertheless I am not at taking it easy ..

No comments: